?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Winter mushrooms revisited

 photo P1010163_zps50e2d426.jpg
I found these mushrooms about a week ago in my brush pile. A couple days later I dug them out to get a better look.

 photo P1010172_zps8e3a024f.jpg
Their mycelium bound up a wad of soil with some rotten stems of plants (the substance that makes up most of the brush pile). That supports the likelihood that these are mushrooms produced by a saprobic fungus rather than a symbiotic species.

 photo P1010174_zps094b6342.jpg
I wasn't handling them very long before they began to fall apart. This reveals that they are fragile, and that the stipe (stem) is hollow and fibrous.

 photo P1010184_zpsb24bca11.jpg
After I cut the caps off of a couple of them and let them sit on white paper over night, they produced this cinnamon-brown spore print.

 photo P1010183_zps385ceb7b.jpg
The short of it, is that they are still unidentified, but now I have more field markings to show people to try to get an identification.

Comments

( 1 comment — Leave a comment )
(Deleted comment)
urbpan
Jan. 1st, 2015 03:28 am (UTC)

Sounds pretty good to me. I tell my mushroom class students that if it isn't spectacular, delicious, or deadly, it's probably hard to identify.
( 1 comment — Leave a comment )

Profile

dandelion
urbpan
The Urban Pantheist

Latest Month

December 2016
S M T W T F S
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Tags

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Witold Riedel